The Control Board is the brain of your softener. It houses all of your preferences and controls the moving parts on the system. This is a step-by-step guide on how to install a new electronic control board.
1. Unplug the power cord from your outlet.
2. Bypass the water softener by pushing the handle in on the back of your unit. This will stop water from coming in or out of the softener while you work:
Remove the Top Cover
a. On the back of the unit, unhook the two clips that hold the cover onto the tank below (see photo). Flex/pull the cover out and away from the system at these clips.
b. There are two similar clips holding the front of the cover on as well. Slide the cover towards you to release these clips, being careful not to disconnect any wires. It is normal for the plastic cover to produce some noise as it shifts and bends.
Disconnect the Control Board
1. Under the lid, you will see the wires running to the control board. The board may be hidden by a removable plastic cover - if so, squeeze both sides of the cover to remove.
2. On the control board, disconnect the following (pictured):
a. Remove the red plastic Wire Harness connector (5 colored wires).
b. Remove the red Power Supply tabs.
c. The black/red Motor wires are hardwired into your board. Follow these wires toward the softener and disconnect at the white plastic connector.
3. The control board is connected to the top cover by a tab on each corner. Starting with one side, flex the gray tabs back to free the board (pictured). Set the board to the side.
1. Locate your new control board. On the front of the screen you'll find a protective film sheet. Start at one of the corners and peel the film away from the screen.
2. Reconnect the wires to your new board (feel free to use the graphic in Step 2 above for reference):
a. Press the red Wire Harness connector onto the metal prongs. This connector will only fit securely one way, with the wires running away from the board.
b. Connect the red tabs of your previous (or new) power cord. The red power supply connectors can be installed in either direction, it is okay if they are switched around.
c. Connect the end of the black/red wires from your board to the black/red wires coming from the motor on your unit.
3. Snap the new board onto the gray tabs. If you removed a control board cover before, snap that back on to cover the board.
4. Place the top cover back on your softener.
5. Plug the power supply into the outlet and take the unit out of bypass.
1. You may be prompted by dashes ‘- - - -‘ on the screen to chose your model code. Use the Up/Down arrows to find your appropriate code.
Find your appropriate code in the list below, or in the first line of the Specification table in your manual.
|EP30 (30,000 grain)
|EP31 (31,000 grain)
|EP40 (40,000 grain)
|EP42 (42,000 grain)
|EPHS (hybrid unit)
|EPHY (hybrid unit)
2. After choosing your model code, press the Select/Program button to lock it in. From there, use our Softener Programming Guide, or your owner’s manual to continue selecting your preferences.