The motor and cam are the moving parts on your softener, allowing water to travel through different parts of the unit.
1. Bypass the water softener by pushing the handle in on the back of your unit. This will stop water from coming in or out of the softener while you work.
2. Remove the top cover:
a. On the back of the unit, unhook the two clips that hold the cover onto the tank below (see photo). Flex/pull the cover out and away from the system at these clips.
b. There are two similar clips holding the front of the cover on as well. Slide the cover towards you to release these clips, being careful not to disconnect any wires. It is normal for the plastic cover to produce some noise as it shifts and bends.
Tip: Reference the schematic below as you continue with step 3.
3. Locate and remove the two screws holding the motor on. Follow the thicker red/black wires from the motor until you reach the clear/white clip. Unclip the wires here and set the old motor aside.
4. Remove the three screws holding the motor plate, and set the plate aside.
5. Pull the Cam & Gear off the system and set aside.
Attach New Parts
1. Attach the new Cam & Gear onto the system. You will notice the gear slides onto the top of the gray rotor stem. The gear will only fit on one way. Notice the letters printed on top of the gear.
2. Place the motor plate over the cam and look for the peep hole showing the position of the cam:
3. Notice the different letters printed on top of the cam - these represent the different valve positions. You’ll want to spin the gear (will be hard to turn), so that the Service ‘S’ mark is showing through the peep hole in the motor plate.
4. Reattach the motor plate by reinserting the three screws.
5. Place your new motor on top and secure with the two remaining screws.
6. Connect the new black/red wires back to the white connector clip.
7. Step though a recharge cycle to determine everything was put back together properly:
a. Hold Recharge until the motor kicks on. The motor should run for a few seconds, and then stop. Keep in mind, the motor may run a little longer initially as it is finding its home position. You should see a ‘Recharge’ indicator on the screen.
b. When the motor stops, press the Recharge button again to advance to the next cycle.
c. Keep pressing the Recharge button once, each time the motor stops, until the flashing ‘Recharge’ indicator on your screen disappears.
8. Place the top cover back on your unit and pull the bypassvalve back out.